Blog Archive

August 01, 2011

Colour Psychology - Colours & Emotions

Anger

Given the word anger we had to do an abstract art in Illustrator with shapes only describing what anger means to use.


http://library.thinkquest.org/27066/psychology/nlcolorpsych.html

Anger – I chose the colour red because it is associated with aggression and anger. Red has multiple meanings but definitely under the colours of psychology it expresses rage, anger and aggression. I chose black also because I feel it is associated with darkness, anger, evil and rage.
I chose the jagged shapes to represent anger by exaggeration of the shape to be really dangerous and sharp and pointy to try and get across that it was an angry and aggressive statement. I found it hard doing it because you are limited with the colour for expressing the emotion, but I think the bright red and jagged shapes portrays the definition of anger.


Calm

http://library.thinkquest.org/27066/psychology/nlcolorpsych.html

Calm – When creating my calm design I was trying to think of colour and peaceful colours – I chose a pale blue and white to represent this as blue is associated with soothing, calm and serene. I also chose white as it is associated with purity and cool.
I chose a very simple and serene shape of circles or the feeling of bubbles to make you feel calm and peacefully floating through like in clouds and calm waters. I kept it very basic and simple because I think calm is also simple and basic shapes otherwise they create havoc and chaos meaning a completely different thing.


Excitement


http://library.thinkquest.org/27066/psychology/nlcolorpsych.html

Excitement – I found this one extremely difficult. Trying to use the colours red, orange and yellow, which were all associated with excitement in regards to colour psychology. I tried to use over the top and exaggerated images again to emphasise fun and excitement – I ended up going for a show theme line – I was trying to replicate the pin wheel that they have flapping in the wind at shows. It was along the lines of a party popper and fireworks kind of feel to try and portray my idea of what excitement would look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I have just started my Diploma of Graphic Design